Tuesday 19 November 2013

' There Is More To Football Than Playing To Show Off' - Soccer Gist With A YCT Player!

Gideon Akinyele

Hello Gideon

Hello Fecko

So I was at the main campus during the match which took place at the sports centre and you participated in the football match. So how would you describe the outing?

First of all I never expected us to be at the main campus for that kind of tournament. Kudos to the sports director in the person of Onyekachi . He did a very good job. Thanks to God almighty that made it possible for us to play there. During the tournament we wanted our voices to be heard that there is somewhere in Epe people don’t know of. There are excellent people that are yet to be seen. We were driven by that passion and we had a lot of fans.

Sorry to cut you short. You said you have a lot of fans. When you say that, are you referring specifically to the female fans?

Yeah, I was referring to the female fans. [Smiles].

So during the match were you playing to entertain the female fans or were you playing to score goals?

You know we are human beings and we have Morales. Females are good cheer leaders. And when most guys see the females they would do the unbelievable.

I couldn’t agree more with that last sentence.

You can testify to that. [Laughs]. By the way, we had some setbacks.

What kind?

Like my favourite number 2 in the person of Adedotun Adedamola aka Dotman aka Agbaowo sustained an injury a night before the match. It was so painful because he could not participate despite the fact he bought a new boot and jersey.

I can imagine how sad that is.

[Laughs]. It was so painful. He even called his parents to come watch him play, and unfortunately everything turned out to be bad. But we never know what would have happened assuming he played.

You know it doesn’t answer the question. Did you play to entertain the female audience or you played to win?

Well, we played as a team. I was not even fit because I sustained an injury in the course of the match. Before I played for the crowd, but as you grow up you realize that there is more to football than playing to show off. In football, the spirit falls together and everybody rides together. We would have won the match if not for our keeper. It was very painful.

Who is your favorite footballer and football club?

I am a Manchester United fan

Same here.

Man U for life. And my favorite player is Merci. The guy was borne with football. I’d like to ask you a question.

Oh, ok.

What was your anticipation when you watched us play?

YCT Football Squad
To start with, I will be very blunt with you. I am not really a football person. My favorite game is Basketball.

Wow.

However I love watching soccer. So when we were at the main campus, I was expectant. I wished we won the match. Meanwhile, I was happy that we played our first match ever at the main campus. So regardless of the outcome, I would have still gone home happy. I wasn’t really interested in the score line, I was interested in the game and you guys did a great job. So final question, how do feel when you get positive remarks from people?

I feel motivated. Everyone has the talent to play football, so it now depends on how you put your talent to use.

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm reading this post again months after it was first published and memories flood my mind. It really was a lovely game and I enjoyed every bit of it. Lovely interview, Fecko. Gideon, it was lovely knowing you.

    Uchechukwu Okwara

    ReplyDelete